Moda Melton is operated under a Management Rights agreement with REAL MGMT PTY LTD. The sole director and principal licensee is Michael Mitchell
, whom also owns and lives in Unit 1 on site. Some of the many benefits enjoyed by Lot Owners from having an Owner like themselves also run the place and live on site include consciousness of spending – as a levy payer themselves it’s in the Managers best interest to excel in providing best value quotes for various works to maintain the scheme, as opposed to third party facility managers who have no money invested in the scheme therefor may not put as much time and effort in when it comes to sourcing quotes. Other benefits include consciousness of unit values by way of upkeep and presentation of the common property, not to mention a sense of pride in living where they work.
Under the Residential Tenancies Act a property manager can only carry out routine inspections once every 3 months, whereas by the On-Site Manager also managing your investment property, through their role as Caretaker and Occupier, they can monitor your property externally every day just from looking out their window. The On-Site Manager also has intimate knowledge of the facilities and nuances that are associated with every multi-unit dwelling structure. Repairs can be attended to quickly and efficiently as they are across trends that happen in buildings and have more than likely “seen it before”. With competitive rates
and generally more qualifications than your average property manager found on every street corner, using your Body Corporate appointed Real Estate Agent to manage your investment property is a smart move.
Michael is joined by his wife Mariah and their son Corbin (March '17), as well as ‘Freedom’ the Mastiff and ‘Boo’ the Devon Rex. They have chosen to make Moda Melton their home because it has so much to offer and through serving the Body Corporate and its occupants gives Michael a sense of purpose and contribution knowing the value he brings utilising his skills in building management, not to mention the lifestyle afforded by such a business in being able to work from home especially with a new family to take care of.
Here is a short summary from Michael about his role as Manager:
Why am I here?
1. Carry out the duties outlined in the Caretaking Agreement to an acceptable industry standard
2. Provide a letting service to Owners as outlined in the Letting Agreement
3. Ensure the highest levels of statutory compliance are obtained and maintained
4. Manage risk and cost to the building owner (the Body Corporate)
5. Add value
How do I achieve this?
- Caretaker’s Duties transposed into a maintenance calendar to easily understand and manage work load
- 9 years’ experience in property maintenance running my own business, with over 1,400 jobs completed
- Formally qualified in facilities management and landscaping, as well as industry accredited
- ARAMA member for industry support
- Suitably experienced in property management & leasing in a professional environment through previous role at Ray White
- Partnered with NEXT International Realty as a broker for maximum exposure to the real estate market
- Personally own multiple investment properties which gives perspective on what clients want and expect
- REIQ practicing member for industry support
4. Risk & Cost Management
- Compliance requirements transposed into an easy to follow calendar, copy of records kept with BCM
- Professionally trained in achieving the required standards and levels to be industry compliant
- Professionally accredited by the ABMA as a compliant industry practitioner and also serve on the IRP
- Proven track record of taking a non-compliant building and achieving full compliance, in record time
5. Adding Value
- Being compliant means fully insured, best practices used, and all necessary steps taken to reduce risk
- 5 years’ experience in commercial procurement, purchasing, asset management, billing analysis
- As an Owner and levy payer, I also have a personal vested interest in keeping costs down
- Ensure Moda Melton presents and functions the best it can be (pool, gardens, grounds, amenities, etc)
- Ensure By Laws are followed and breaches reported promptly when enforcement required
- Ensure Moda Melton is compliant and protected (covered) in the event of an insurance claim/incident
- Ensure programmed and advisory maintenance is carried out and recommended to the Body Corporate
The road to Moda Melton was not easy for Michael, the business purchase process took 12 months and there were many hurdles to overcome with a lot of money at stake if the sale fell through as nearly $30,000 had already been committed on specialist consultants and exploratory building works to ascertain feasibility (legal, financial, town planning, engineering, architectural, and the list goes on).
These obstacles included obtaining Body Corporate consent (motion without dissent) to sub-divide the large 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 4 car space, 4 balcony managers unit into 2 x normal size 2 bedroom units. Then the associated approvals from council for the renovation work to fit them out (most extensive was the addition of a kitchen, office space and converting the laundry into a main bathroom and the associated plumbing and electrical work being retrofitted in a 10yo building), negotiations with the Body Corporate through their lawyer about changes to the CMS and other approvals required. But he got there in the end and the results speak for themselves.
In the first 12 months Michael has grown his property management portfolio from 26 to 45, obtained a 5 year top up to his management agreements, motion for ‘Gallery Vie’ finance clause approved, exercised the 15 year extended term in the agreements, completely overhauled the gardens, rectified some 200+ defects in the fire systems, implemented programmed & preventative maintenance plans, achieved full compliance in the Body Corporates Work Health & Safety Compliance Management Plan, including the recently added Fire Interface and Control Management Plan module which became law in 2015, and put forward many improvement ideas for the scheme of which most have been adopted and welcomed by the Body Corporate, including a high definition CCTV security system, a restricted key system, and a 30kW solar system for the common property.